Mr. Tasty Fries
Beginning with a concept sketch I made, and a puppet base design by Jane Edmonson I got to work. I began by dying Antron fleece both yellow and beige which would then be used as both the body, and head colours. Next I cut both foam and fabric out from the pattern provided to me.
The hands were constructed with a metal armature in them so they can be articulated. The edges of the body and head got lined with spandex which the fleece was then stitched to.
To help construct the head I planned out the order I would place each layer of the burger. Next I planned what I would make each topping out of. The various toppings of the burger would need different textures which also meant some of them would have to be built up underneath to add to the bulk of the fillings. I began with the ketchup and mustard roof of his mouth. I used red felt with yellow yarn blanket stitched on top. For the bottom bun I added additional foam and trimmed it to the size and shape I wanted; the tomato, burger patty, and top bun were made the same way. So the burger would have a fuller, more realistic appearance. The lettuce, onions, pickles, and bacon all had a stripe of felt laid under them so the base of the puppet matched the topping. Next each topping was filled in with an appropriately textured item; both buns and the tomato were covered in fabric at this time.
The shirt for the puppet was tailored from a child's shirt in order to fit, and was then dyed. Next I cut the letters from black felt and whip stitched them in place.
To assemble, a doughnut I had knitted was slipped on as a bracelet, and his arms were sewn in place. A piece of dyed Antron fleece was cut out for a cheese tongue, and plastic eggs covered in felt were stitched on to make the olive eyes. Pumpkin seeds were glued in place as sesame seeds, and reticulated foam cut into long rectangles acted as french fries coming from the back of his shirt.
Overall I feel he has quite an expressive personality, and was super fun to make. I would give myself a bit more time to test some of the toppings, to come up with a more defined way of attaching them.
Click pictures to read more about whats happening in each one.